The late Bishop Harry C. Eggleston, who began his ministry in 1943, established Shiloh Way of the Cross Church in 1957. He had a dream that someday his ministry would be strong and prosperous. Unfortunately, for many years it was a daily struggle. He and his wife, Millie Hairston Eggleston, began worship service in the house of the late Walter Stone. Later they moved to a little store owned by the late Annie Stone that was located on Danville Road. There, he and the members worshipped for a short while, but were compelled to move into a little farmhouse in Henry County owned by the late Burgess and Ruby Hairston. They worshipped here for several years. With the membership growth, came the need for physical expansion. The church purchased land in the Carlisle community and a building was erected in 1945 by Sam and Leonard Garrett. The church was very successful in its’ new location and the congregation grew tremendously. They continued to worship there until more room and better facilities were needed.
Being an independent church, Elder Eggleston saw the need for and the advantage of joining an organization. After praying and carefully seeking God’s will, God gave him the answer. In August of 1943, the late John W. Jamison drove Elder H.C. Eggleston, Elder Wheeler Moyer, Elder William Giles, and Elder Henry Scales to New York City for a Convention at the Church of Our Lord Jesus Christ headed by the Late Bishop R. C. Lawson. Prior to this, John Jamison and his wife had lived in Washington, DC and attended the Way of the Cross Church under the pastorate of the late Bishop H.C. Brooks, Founder of the Way of the Cross Church of Christ International. They all enjoyed Bishop Brooks’ ministry, and had spoken very highly of the church. On returning from New York, Elder Eggleston suggested they stop to see the church, having no expectation of seeing anyone because of the time and day of the week. To their great surprise, when they drove up and parked the car, Bishop H.C. Brooks walked out of the church door. Prior to their first meeting, God had already shown Elder Eggleston to Bishop Brooks. When seeing Bishop Brooks for the first time, Elder Eggleston remarked, “This is the man God wants me to follow”. Elder Eggleston and Bishop Brooks became the best of friends. Shiloh became a part of the Way of the Cross Church of Christ International and Elder Eggleston was later consecrated Bishop.
In 1956, land was purchased in Martinsville and construction of the church started immediately. A 300 seating capacity church was completed with a 100 seating capacity chapel. Bishop Eggleston campaigned successfully to have the road name changed to Brookdale Street after his friend, Bishop H.C. Brooks.
The congregation continued to grow. Again, plans were made for the erection of a new sanctuary adjacent to the existing sanctuary that was completed in 1981 with much more seating capacity.
Bishop Eggleston continued in his love and support of Bishop Brooks and the Way of the Cross Church of Christ, Int. He served in many capacities in the WOTCC and later was elevated to the office of the Presiding Bishop. He served diligently for the Lord and departed this life on November 25, 1984. He was married to Millie H. Eggleston and had two daughters, Lorene and Shelia. Before his death, while in the hospital, Bishop Eggleston anointed and appointed Elder Earley Dillard as pastor to carry on his works. Bishop Dillard continues to work and carry on the love for the organization today, and Shiloh is proud to be a part of such a great body of people.
Since becoming pastor of Shiloh WOTCC, many souls have been added to the congregation. Bishop Dillard served under the leadership of Bishop Eggleston and began his pastorate on November 25, 1984. His formal pastoral installation was held on June 8, 1985 at Shiloh. Bishop Leroy Cannady, Presiding Bishop of the Way of the Cross Church of Christ International, performed the ceremony. Being active in the ministry, Bishop Dillard has served in many capacities within the WOTCC. [More information on “Our Pastor” page] His ministry in Martinsville and the surrounding area continues to flourish through his firm preaching, teaching, and belief in the Apostolic Doctrine; always standing for the Name of Jesus!
God also gave Shiloh a ministry of leadership among other Apostolics. For example, some great ministers with roots from Shiloh include: the late Bishop C. W. Hairston, founder of Jerusalem WOTCC, the late Apostle Joseph Adams, founder of Bethel United WOTCC, the late Bishop R. W. Adams, founder of Star of Bethlehem WOTCC, Bishop Albert Hairston, founder and pastor of Refuge Center of Deliverance, Bishop Waverly Cousin, founder and pastor of Alpha Apostolic Temple, Bishop Chauncey Stone, founder and pastor of Greater Refuge Temple, our pastor, Vice-Presiding Bishop Earley Dillard, Bishop Eric Cannady, founder and pastor of Atlanta Metro WOTCC, Pastor Joseph Patterson, founder and pastor of Open Book Apostolic Church, Elder Travell Travis, founder and pastor of Center of Refuge WOTCC, Elder Christopher S. Hairston, founder and pastor of Triumph WOTCC, and Bishop Kenneth Lucas, founder and pastor of Freedom Fellowship Ministries. Elder Jim W. Penn, Sr. and Elder Eric Penn are the current Associate Elders at Shiloh Way of the Cross Church. The late Elder Thomas Witcher served as an Associate Elder until his death.
Shiloh Way of the Cross Church is indeed the “Hospital of Life” and has an open door to everyone. The ministry at Shiloh looks forward to many more years of “Glorious Service to the Master” and “the soon return of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ!”